Here are a few tips for preventing food waste:
- Plan your meals based upon the foods that you already have in your fridge, freezer and pantry, placing a high priority on creating meals from the foods (like fresh produce) that will soon spoil if not consumed.
- Eat your leftovers.
- Have leftover makeovers – creating new meals from boring leftovers!
- Freeze foods that you don’t think you’ll consume before they spoil.
- Divide leftover casseroles and soups into 1 portion servings and freeze. These are wonderful homemade convenience foods that save money!
- Share food with friends and family if you purchased more than you can use.
- Serve smaller portions, especially to children. If the initial portion is consumed, you can serve more!
- Have a clean out the fridge lunch/dinner. Eat remaining leftovers and produce that needs to be used. These type of meals are fun, especially for kids!
Do you have other tips for preventing food waste?