I was first introduced to reusable shopping bags 4 years ago when my mother-in-law gave me a couple. Back then, my grocery store was taking $.04 off per bag which was a nice little incentive to remember to bring the bags. Now, my grocery store no longer gives any credit for bringing your own bag but I still do!
I’ve tried out a few different types of reusable bags over the years, from the reusable bags most stores carry to canvas tote bags to compact bags. The compact bags that fold up really small make having reusable bags easy.
I always have a compact bag or two in my diaper bag/purse and I keep a few in my car. Having them with me means I frequently refuse plastic bags. It’s also nice to just pull out a bag when I need one.
Benefits of compact reusable shopping bags:
- Take up very little space so it’s easy to carry one (or a few).
- You don’t use plastic bags!
- Since you’re using reusable bags, you don’t have to worry about recycling plastic bags.
- They can be convenient. I frequently use mine at the library to carry our armload of books. (Paxton loves books so we check our limit out!)
- You’re helping cut down costs for retailers. I really love refusing bags at my favorite local stores – I want to see them thrive and with small businesses, every penny helps!
One of my favorite reusable bags is the reuseit Workhorse hemp bag. It’s made of hemp and cotton and is more durable and holds more weight than other compact bags I’ve used. This bag folds up into a sewn in pocket, making this bag super easy to store!
Do you use reusable bags?
Disclaimer: I was provided the reuseit Workhorse bag to review. I was not compensated in any other way. All opinions expressed in this post are my own!