We love reading.
Our children love having books read to them and all three enjoy looking at books. Our homeschool curriculum is literature based. We even keep a selection of books in our van for them to ‘read’ while they’re riding.
Of course, not all children’s books are the same. There are many books out there that are considered ‘twaddle’. We prefer quality, classic children’s books that inspire and spark imaginative play!
For babies, we like simple board books with bright pictures. We really like Bright Baby books, they’re simple with big pictures for chubby little hands to point at and learn basic words. We also like books that are interactive (like touchy-feely books).
- First Words
- My Very First Book of Shapes
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Just Like Mommy
- First 100 Words
- First 100 Machines
The best books for toddlers are books with bright, colorful pictures and not too much text per page. Our toddlers have all loved animals and trains so we have several of those type books on this list.
- The Best Nest
- Farm Tales
- Winter on the Farm
- Eloise Wilkin Stories
- Train Man
- The Little Engine That Could
- The New Adventures of Curious George
- Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story
- Richard Scarry’s Best Word Book Ever
- Choo Choo
As children grow, their attention spans begin to increase and you can start reading them books with more text per page. Of course, they’re still young children so illustrations are still very important!
- The Jesus Storybook Bible
- The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
- My First Hands-On Bible
- Farm Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
- Mike Mulligan and More
- The Berenstain Bears’ Big Book of Science and Nature
- The 20th-Century Children’s Book Treasury
- Make Way for McCloskey: A Robert McCloskey Treasury
- Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
- What Do People Do All Day?
Favorite Parenting Books
While these aren’t children’s books, they all have been inspiring to me as a parent of young children and I wanted to share my favorites!
- Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids
- How To Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
- The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child’s Heart for Eternity
- Romancing Your Child’s Heart
- Parenting with Scripture
- Heartfelt Discipline: Following God’s Path of Life to the Heart of Your Child
What are your favorite children’s books? (I love book recommendations!) Are some of your favorites on this list?
Disclosure – This post contains affiliate links.