When it comes to decorating our home, I prefer personalized and meaningful art work. And the pieces become more special if they’re something I create.
I consider myself to be semi-creative. I enjoy sewing and painting but I’m definitely limited in my skills in both of these areas. I prefer easy projects that take less than 2 or 3 hours to complete.
- Canvas (I used a 16×20 & 8×10 for my projects!)
- Chipboard Letters/Stencil
- Black & White Paint (or whatever colors you want!)
- Fine Tipped Paintbrush
- Ruler (If you’re a perfectionist…I don’t mind a little crookedness!)
Lay out your chipboard letters/stencil on your canvas; trace with a pencil.
Once you are finished tracing, it’s time to paint!
Using your fine tipped paint brush, carefully paint around the outside of the traced out words with black paint. (With a canvas as small as 8×10, I went ahead and painted the entire thing as I went!)
Once you’re finished tracing and painting the outside of the letters, touch up the inside of the letters with white paint! (Of course you can paint your canvas with whatever colors you like!)
The finished art. This took me a little over an hour to do and I love the end result!
This ‘live sent’ piece is going to go on a mission/world themed gallery wall in our dining room! ‘Live sent’ is a phrase used at our church referencing how we’re supposed to live as followers of Christ so it has personal meaning to our family.
On my 16×20 canvas, I painted words from John 3:30, ‘He must increase, I must decrease.” These are words I want to live by as a follower of Christ!
My project costs:
- 8 x 10 canvas – $2 (Hobby Lobby had 2 packs of 8×10 canvases on sale last week for $4, the chip board letters are from another project and I already had black and white paint and paintbrushes!)
- 16×20 canvas –$4 (The 16×20 canvases were on sale for $8 for a 2 pack!!)