When I was expecting Weston, we decided to change the nursery from the smallest room in our home to a larger room with space for 2 cribs and ample open floor space.
We moved everything into the room, I put a few things on the wall but put ‘decorating the nursery’ on the back burner. (Babies really could care less what their room looks like…)
Now that Weston’s a bit older (and I’m feeling more creative and energetic), I’m ready to decorate the nursery!
I knew I wanted to incorporate the ABCs in the room because Paxton loves letters! I really wanted to do a letter wall with different letters in different fonts but that would take quite a while to find all 26 letters plus it could get quite pricey if the letters averaged just $5 each (I really don’t want to spend $130 on letters for a nursery!)
My creativity (and cheapness) came up with this ABC Canvas:
- Canvas (I used a 16×20)
- Chipboard Letters
- Craft Glue
- Lay out your letters on the canvas and find the arrangement you like. (If you’re a perfectionist, you could draw out lines to mark where the letters go…I’m not that much of a perfectionist!)
- Decide on a color scheme. I went with a ‘rainbow theme’ but you could do one color, mix colors, whatever you want to do on your canvas!
- Paint the chipboard letters.
- Lay out the letters on the canvas and finalize placement!
- Glue. I used craft glue and starting from the top glued each letter down (while the rest were laid out on the canvas to help me with placement).
- Dry. I laid the canvas face down and put a few heavy books on top to make sure everything was pressed down. If you do this, make sure there is no extra glue seeping from under the letters…I had a few spots where it was and the paint was pulled off the letters. It wasn’t a big deal, I just had to retouch.
- Finished! Time to hang and admire your cheap craftiness!
- 16×20 canvas –$4 (The 16×20 canvases were on sale for $8 for a 2 pack!!)
- Chipboard Letters- $5
- Paint $3 (I already had red. I purchased blue, green and yellow and made the orange…red and yellow make orange!)
Less than $15 after taxes isn’t bad for a super cute and custom ABC Canvas.
I really like how this simple project turned out. I love the bright colors in the nursery and Paxton loves the ABCs on the wall!